Friday, September 30, 2011
Paleo (ish) Hot and Sour Soup
I've been battling a cold since we got back from England.
And it's been raining.
And Will has to work all weekend so I need to feel better so I can manage by myself for another few days...
So I decided I needed some hot and sour soup.
I called this a paleo (ish) soup, because I sort of colored out of the lines a bit here. Tamari is wheat-free, but it's still not really paleo. Corn isn't really paleo, especially not the baby corn kind that comes in a can. Canned veggies were a bit of a stretch from our usual fresh-from-the-CSA variety.
But it's close enough, and it's not an everyday meal. Part of the fun of this blog is sharing some of my favorite ways to sort of cheat while not totally going out of (paleo) bounds.
And THIS RECIPE IS A WINNER.
You should totally make it.
- 4 qt. crockpot
- 1 cup chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 T tamari wheat-free soy sauce
- 2 1/2 T rice wine vinegar
- 2 t sesame oil
- 1 T red chili paste (you could also use red pepper flakes)
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 8 oz can bamboo shoots, drained
- 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained
- 8 oz can baby corn, drained (I could only find the bigger can, so used half of it)
Put everything in the crockpot.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
If you like your soup more hot, add some more chili paste. If you want it more sour, add some more rice vinegar. I ended up adding a bunch more spice (have I mentioned I'm sick?) and I can finally breathe through my nose again.